How to get a job for the first time- The No Sophie No Blog Way!


I'm writing this the day after I got rejected for the gazillionth time by the trillionth company for the bazillionth job (ok, I'm making words up now I know). And it sucks. As well as being ironic. Even more so because it was for a job I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted. So I sulked for half an hour (probably longer) before pulling myself together because hey ho life goes on, and what better way to get over the hurt than spreading my words of wisdom regarding getting that all important step on the career ladder (also applies to subsequent jobs but really I'm not good at getting those so I wouldn't take my advice).

Step 1: Write a kick-butt CV
It seems obvious, you can't get most jobs without them, but a decent CV is the bare minimum you need in most cases to get a job. A lot require additional cover letters (Hello, I'd like a job please! Kind Regards, Sophie), forms and multiple references from people who you haven't seen for a good five years or so and probably don't remember you (I'm thinking mainly teachers who've had thousands of students and the generic responses they probably give).
Start with a little personal statement, exaggerate your good points- not your high score on Guitar Hero, more so your time keeping, motivation and quick thinking/problem solving are more the ways to go.
Follow this up with a history of your work experience (or lack of in my case), schooling and any voluntary work you may have. If you lack any of these then helping out at a charity event or doing some unpaid work for a family friend may help your cause, after all anything is far better than nothing. Be sure to include your qualifications under the school heading (although I did omit the D in Classics because it seemed a bit like an anomaly).
Round it up with a section to make you seem a bit more like a human being which I call Hobbies and Interests. Again focusing on motivational activities like sports or creative interests like painting- or even charitable efforts you haven't included above like walking your neighbours' dog is probably better than random stuff but whatever works for you, I'm not the person to judge.
References are wise here, you can include them from former teachers, event organisers or people you've helped out along the way to this stage but if you don't wish to provide them you can always do it at a later date.

Step 2: Get clicky clicky clicketing
I'm not going mad, by this I mean to get up out of bed, grab your laptop, get back in and hit the world wide web. Sites like indeed, jobsearch and universal job match are good places to start, hitting your favourite company websites and those of local shopping centres are sure fire ways to find plenty of opportunities.
Set your sights low, I'm not suggesting you're not capable of being Chief Supervisor Inspector Manager of Topshop (other clothing brands are available) but starting from the bottom in the stock room isn't a bad way to find out if it's really your dream to be drowning in seasonal discounted clothes. If it's your first job you're like like I did to have little experience and this is where my next point comes into play-
*que jingle bells*

Step 3: Hit Christmas Temp Season!
It worked for me! Christmas, as well as being THE most wonderful time of the year, is a great time to find a job. Thousands upon thousands of companies are looking for extra staff to ease the burden off their dying workers, starved and probably lacking the Christmas spirit they started late October/early November with. So once you've returned your rented Halloween costume back to the fancy dress shop I'd take a look at the opportunities available in your local area.
I started with a well known high street clothing brand, sacrificing my Christmas eve in favour of ticketing products to later mark down and shuffle from the stock room onto a cluttered shop floor (don't get me started on the state of Boxing day *shudder*). Looking back now I probably would have had more fun if I'd took a chance applying for a shop that I really had a passion for (Lush, I'm looking at you, please) or somewhere I'd be unlikely to get a job at until I gained a tonne more experience. But it worked for me, I picked up my first part time permanent job a few months later. Temps aren't just for Christmas either, you can pick up a position during Summer or at any time of the year whenever a brand needs that little extra help from a cheeky little elf like you!

Step 4: Be the best version of you
So you've nailed an awesome CV, found your dream job and now you're sat in front of three middle aged managerial people you've never met and forced to lie through your teeth about how exciting everything you've ever done is whilst shaking and peeing your pants. It's frightening, I know, because one slip up and that's POOF all your hard work gone and back to the drawing board.
But it's ok.
Relax, prepare beforehand and be honest. It's better to find out that you aren't the person they're looking for now rather than down the line when you can't figure out how to use the computer and they offer to help only to print off your P45 later (which wouldn't ever happen- possibly?).
Be yourself, but not yourself, be the best you that there is. Focus on your best qualities, what you've achieved and what you would like to achieve.
A happy, confident, likeable person is always a better start than somebody with the correct qualifications but who looks like they could pass out on the spot.

And if all else fails, you've got experience. Knock on every door and hand in your CV and when they ignore you, knock again! Hand in another CV! Never take no for an answer! Because one day, somebody will see just how awesome you are.

Good luck!
Sophie :3 x

Photo edited using PicsArt.

Twitter: @nosophienoblog

Blogger template by Ipietoon

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

About

19 year old liver of life delivering you quirky readings on lifestyle topics, anime and all round cuteness on a regular, or as regular as I can, basis. Twitter: @nosophienoblog